Balance in Sickness

When I am sick, things become really simple. Drink water. Take vitamins. Take a nap. Take Mucinex. Drink more water.

When I am sick, I still work. This isn’t sick work time off, however if I honestly took days off sick, it would make me more stressed knowing I would have work to catch up on. I know a lot of people will say “Work will always be there, get better.” But for me – working slowly, and taking breaks when sick is far better for me in the long run. I feel better knowing I can do a little now, a little later, take care of me, and be less stressed when I go back into the office.

Balance with work in life is something I am constantly re-negotiating. I am finding what works for me and what doesn’t. We all have things we juggle in the air, and what works for one person may not work for another. This is life. I know I do better when working while sick.

I also know I have been whiny and annoyed that I am sick. This is just who I am, when sick I feel like a five year old who needs her mommy to take care of her. And this is ok 🙂

I have taken a bit of a hiatus from twitter, facebook, social media in general. This is part of balance as well. I don’t realize when I am in the thick of advocacy, that social media is wonderful but sometimes really draining. I need breaks when I am well, so it only makes sense that I need more separation when I am sick.

Balance is hard, and I am still learning, but I know that respecting my needs, both my body and soul is what helps guide me to getting to a centered place again. This means I need to be flexible. I thrive in flexibility. I am not a rules follower. I think this is a strength of mine, because one day I may need more self care and another I am ok with a five minute break. Life is dynamic, and so are our needs. What truly matters is if we are listening to our body, our mind, our soul.

When sick, things become clearer, I am more grateful for puppy naps, grateful for my boyfriend who gets me cold medicine from the store, grateful for being able to work from home. I am more able to see what I need to do, and don’t struggle with the should monster or enough tyrant. I simply am comfortable BEing. And that never happens!!!

So I will continue to walk, to nap, to crawl, and do what I need on a daily basis and let the world continue twirling, because I am in tune to me, and when I am again centered can return to giving more energy out.

How about you? Do you struggle with balance, or do you embrace it with ease when sick like I do?

9 Responses to Balance in Sickness
  1. Ann Becker-Schutte
    February 9, 2011 | 8:49 pm

I love that you are able to view the experience of sickness as a way to increase your sense of balance. What a lovely frame!

I think that I have struggled with this during sickness as a parent because kids don’t stop being kids when they have a sick parent.

Recently, though, I’ve also realized that I have a responsibility to get better, so I’ve gotten better about getting my needs met when I’m sick.

I hope that the new sense of balance carries on through your return to health!

• ViR
      February 9, 2011 | 9:00 pm

Thank you so much Ann!!! I feel that way – my puppy doesn’t stop her needs/wants just because I am sick 🙂 Good for you for knowing you need to take care of your needs! I almost feel like its the airplane rules of put your oxygen on first before you help others

2. KCLAnderson (Karen)
    February 9, 2011 | 10:11 pm

There is definitely balance to be found in sickness! Sometimes I think illness is our body’s way of saying, “hey, it’s time to change things up a little.” I’ve been working at home for 13+ years and while it’s true, I don’t get “sick days” the way people who work in offices do, I get more balance on the days when I am sick! Hope you feel better soon!

• ViR
      February 9, 2011 | 10:42 pm

I never really worked from home before this job, so I am definitely learning different lessons (valuable ones!) when being sick. Thank you for the well wishes!! I definitely agree with the illness and message part. I think I NEEDED a break from things for a few days, and this was a way to do that.

3. Alex @ Healing Beauty
    February 9, 2011 | 10:21 pm

I definitely embrace the balance and allow my body to be and to heal. I just wanted to say I absolutely LOVED your phrase “Life is dynamic, and so are our needs.” It is so incredibly true and it works on a multitude of levels. Thank you for reminding me that today is different and so my needs might be different.

• ViR
      February 9, 2011 | 10:44 pm

It is a phrase I have had to repeat to my mentee on a daily basis and I think that phrase has now become such a huge blessing in my life. No one day will be the same, and we need to show up, and be flexible to the day ahead. That also means there will be more fun, creativity, and unknowns in life 🙂

4. Jenn Sternecker
    February 10, 2011 | 2:29 am

I definitely relate to this. When I was sick last week, it was so much easier to take time for me. My body needed the ME time to heal and I was able to actually give it that time it needed. I took care of myself. It wasn’t an option in my mind. It’s funny how when I’m sick I always take care of me, rest, take my meds, drink my fluids, eat the best I can…but my past hasn’t always been the best with that in every day life. Good thing that’s changing!

5. perla
    February 10, 2011 | 5:33 am

there is hope for all of us, so i wish and believe in a happier future, some days are easy some days are really hard— hold on and everything will fall into place , hopefully… i wait for that day when i finally find inner peace

6. Melissa @ ...the space between...
    February 10, 2011 | 5:27 pm

I think knowing yourself so well and what works best for you is fantastic. If doing absolutely nothing is not relaxing or healing for you when you’re sick, do what is. Our bodies respond better when we listen to them.

Feel better hon!